Rodney was educated in Zimbabwe and subsequently graduated from Rhodes University, South Africa with BA / LLB degrees.
He practised as partner in charge of civil litigation in a South African law firm for 13 years and since practised as a commercial lawyer in Perth from 1994 (including 2 years as in house counsel for a listed Australian mining company).
Rodney’s principal experience is in the following areas:
Reviewing, negotiating and drafting various commercial agreements including:
- Sales of businesses and shares;
- Shareholder Agreements;
- Partnership Agreements;
- Services Agreements;
- Licence Agreements;
- Agency and Distributorship Agreements;
- Loans (and associated caveats / PPSR registrations);
- General Conditions of Sale;
Wills and Estate Planning
- Standard Wills;
- Wills with Testamentary Trusts;
- Succession planning relating to family trusts and Self Managed Superannuation Funds;
- Enduring Powers of Attorney and Enduring Powers of Guardianship.
- “Granny Flat” agreements.
- Transfers of land (Survivorship applications, Transmission applications);
- Deeds of Family Arrangement;
- Administration of estates.
Rodney has approximately 10 years’ experience negotiating and preparing agreements for listed multinationals and Australian listed mining companies, mostly relating to the mineral exploration industry and including:
- joint venture agreements;
- native title access (Heritage Protection) agreements;
- service agreements;
- confidentiality agreements;
- project sale and tenements sale agreements.
Rodney’s approach to the preparation of agreements:
Rodney favours agreements simplified and shortened as far as possible by limiting non-essential material; and
He usually promotes the use of preliminary bullet point Terms Sheets to enable parties to identify and resolve potential issues before incurring the cost of drafting a full form agreement.